Setting: Room 222, Logan High School, English office, the end of first semester.
Ann was showing him around, reintroducing him to the building and to the department. I had my glasses off, probably looked a wreck, shook his hand and didn’t take a careful inventory. My mistake. I was the new teacher, caught up in the hectic schedule Ann quickly spilled on him in those first moments. I am sure he was thinking “Who the heck is this chick, and why should I care?” (Maybe not. I am a stellar projector.) And that’s where it began. A quick introduction, some uninspired conversation and a complete lack of wit. Talk about a lasting impression! I suppose that’s what you get when meeting people becomes less organic. I couldn’t primp and press myself into my best version. He got the sloppy, end of day dregs.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Share what you think. I would love to hear what you have to say.