Setting: Logan High, English Office
I have always wanted to attend a Masquerade Ball. I love to
pretend at being outgoing, and ideally, a masquerade would act as the perfect
playground for my faceless, nameless parade of confidence. I wasn’t going to
chaperon this one. I like to keep my weekends teen free. 5 days a week
generally provides me more than enough time with post pubescent youth. However,
I was suckered in on this one. First by the unbridled excitement of Emily and
Leslie, then by the bonus of Mr. Fourth Season.
I felt like a giddy middle school girl all day. I was secretly
excited at the prospect of putting on a cute dress and dancing (most) of the
night away. I had picked out the outfit days in advance—and not just because I
needed to match my dress to my mask. I had helped make the masks and had
suckered Mr. IV into accepting a flashy purple version as his own. As the day
wore on, I acted the fool in front of my kids, and by 8th hour I was
chatty and viciously cunning with Mr. Fourth Season. He had kindly brought his
copy of Dexter Season 4 for me to borrow, and had offered up some unwelcome
information, so I didn’t feel completely bad about the repartee. I was also
deluding myself into believing that I had no nerves about spending 5 hours with
him that night.
Setting: Logan High Cafeteria
Before I even fully comprehended it, I was flirting. I knew I
probably shouldn’t because I get in my head and make it more than it could ever
be, but I couldn’t help myself. He looked good. I felt good. It felt good. And
so it began. We had to hang decorations together, so we teased each other about
our skill…or lack there of (turns out hanging streamers off the roll really is
a 2 person job, and no tugging is allowed). We set up the DJ booth and started
selecting music—a process that required more than one person looking at a small
screen. We were close, we were chatting, we were dancing. If there was
nothing, my mind was playing tricks.
As the night wore on, so did the music selection. By the 3rd
hour, we had moved from iTunes to Youtube to keep the party bumpin’. That was
around the time he was trying to find a version of Footloose. He stood just
over my shoulder. And he didn’t move. He stood like that, leaned
in toward the screen trying to figure out the title of the song. Eventually I
gave in to my nervous instincts and shifted away, but I regretted it almost
immediately. I liked having him so close. And that wasn’t the only time that
night. With the loud music and the mandatory manning of the DJ booth, I found close
contact nearly continuous. I felt like a middle school girl. Only this time, I
actually knew how to flirt with the boy. And I didn’t stand against the wall
and avoid eye contact (although I did avoid a couple requests to join in the
dancing). No, I was snarky and playful and…yes, I touched his arm, and stole
his mask out of his pocket, and stuck a sticker on his shirt. A bit middle
school, but what can I say? I am a bit behind in my flirting education.
After the dance, we all packed up, silly on sleep deprivation and
each other’s company. With an executive decision, we followed the Dean of
Students to celebrate a dance well planned over a drink or two (on him!). The
conversation revolved around sports and school, but when the tab was settled
and our kind host had vacated the premises, I unleashed my library phone number
incident on the quickly fading group, getting a positive reaction from everyone
but him. Emily was the first to leave, and her departure signaled Leslie that
our time had come as well. We parted ways, each of us heading to our respective
abodes. When I got home, I sent him a flirty text, regretful that I hadn’t been
able to cash in on his suggestions of staying out later. While feedback was
positive, I can’t help but wonder if he picked up the subtle hints of
attraction buried under the playful jabs. I guess my literal mask wasn’t
the only one to come off by the end of the night.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Share what you think. I would love to hear what you have to say.