When you live the life of a hermit, communication skills generally become rather rudimentary. Mine usually ride the range of technology. I feel safe in the world of black and white blinking cursors. There, things are black and white. What I write is what I mean. If there is a suggestion of something deeper, it can be uncovered in the permanent pages. Face to face conversations, and (god forbid!) phone calls, make my life a living hell. Suddenly body language can tell a story that contrasts tone of voice. You can lose yourself not only in the juxtaposition of contradictions, but you may also lose the tried and true signs of attraction—signs which I recently sleuthed the Internet for. (A bit ridiculous? I was desperate. And I flirt like a broken faucet.)
I should have a button that says, “Don’t talk to me. I’m Awkward.” Someone better watch out.

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Season 4 xiii: Asking Katie's Advice

Setting: Geneva Terrace

I decided I didn't want to hesitate anymore. I have been playing the waiting game for more than a month. He is no longer a part of my daily life, but I think about him daily. I need to know if all that think time is worth it. If not, I need to herd my mind onto greener pastures.

I decided to kill 3 birds with one stone. Coffee, a jaunt outdoors and the return of some past-due items.

He countered with his own proposition. With the addition of a movie, we could make it a deal. I was in.

I texted Katie. "Is it a date if we get coffee and go to a movie?"

No response.

Setting: Java Vino

We met there. I arrived early, ordered up my regular (from a Logan student) and settled in to wait. When he finally showed up he was casual. (Hint) With a brief greeting he ordered up and settled in for a little chatting. We talked about the day, about last night and about his new placement. Then we were off.

As I drove, I called Katie to fill her in on what had happened. Undecided on the answer to my first question, I pulled into the theatre lot.

Setting: Marcus Theatre

We parked and met up, talking about cars as we walked into the building. He bought his ticket first, waiting for confirmation that I would cover my own. I did.

We chatted into the theatre where previews had already begun. I made him choose the seats. We ended up behind another pair of Logan students. (Hint)

The movie was good. I wiggled around a lot. He was extremely focused.  So much so that he nearly jumped out of his seat when the dog attacked for the first time. I had to hide my humor for the next full minute. As the movie wrapped up, I grabbed my stuff and we walked out. We chatted about the movie as we went to our cars. We had to stop past mine so that I could grab his stuff. I made the quick move of removing the postcard I had casually written (it revealed this sitcom) and returned his things. We chatted awhile longer about our nights, the rest of his weekend, my spring break. I was freezing so we wrapped up our chat and went our separate ways.

I called Josh on the way home. He and his unnamed friend declared the event a date. I wasn't sold.

Setting: Geneva Terrace

I made it home before I called Katie again. We dished and decided I needed to make THE move. There is no time like now to make a true fool of yourself. I gave in, called my own bluff and placed my bet. I was willing to wager against my hopes and that bet paid off.

"This is weird for me...Was that just 2 friends hanging out, or was it something else?"

It didn't take him long to respond.

"Idk how to word it, so I will be blunt. Two friends hanging out. Sorry if I made it feel like something else."

I tried to blow it off.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share what you think. I would love to hear what you have to say.