Setting: Geneva Terrace
Last night's trouble dragged into the wee hours of the morning. After my initial blow, he sent back a rather quick, "Why not??" I gave him an hour to think about that question--to really stew in the possibilities. (I am too realistic to think the idea even crossed his mind again, but a girl can hope, right?) I sent a response. "You left with one of the reasons..." Ha. I thought I was being clever. He had, in fact, left with one strong reason for anyone to dislike him: Mr. Personality on top of Personality. Mr. IV's choice really left me wondering.
I didn't hear anything back, and I assumed I had either offended him or caught him drunk. I went to bed, not too worried about the lack of response. The fact of the matter is that something needs to change between him and me. If making things a bit more obvious is what it takes, I am past the point of regret.
I woke up a little after 12:30, craving water, and noticed my phone blinking red. His response: At entencerr...no dog with.
WTF?
I went back to bed, with questions on my brain. Between the booze and the students' behavior this week, I slept hard. Shortly after waking up, I reread the message. Sure enough, it was the same. The hazy excuse that drink may have distracted my mind flew out the window. Again, I was left wondering. And I don't wonder well. I texted him again, questioning.
He responded, but the answer only left further questions. What, if anything, is entencerr? Why would his friend Josh have been trying to pull a fast one (on me, specifically)? Again, I couldn't leave these questions unanswered. I summed all of my confusion up in my first question and received only, "Currently idts, but we could change that," for an answer.
Red Card.
When you live the life of a hermit, communication skills generally become rather rudimentary. Mine usually ride the range of technology. I feel safe in the world of black and white blinking cursors. There, things are black and white. What I write is what I mean. If there is a suggestion of something deeper, it can be uncovered in the permanent pages. Face to face conversations, and (god forbid!) phone calls, make my life a living hell. Suddenly body language can tell a story that contrasts tone of voice. You can lose yourself not only in the juxtaposition of contradictions, but you may also lose the tried and true signs of attraction—signs which I recently sleuthed the Internet for. (A bit ridiculous? I was desperate. And I flirt like a broken faucet.)
I should have a button that says, “Don’t talk to me. I’m Awkward.” Someone better watch out.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Share what you think. I would love to hear what you have to say.