When you live the life of a hermit, communication skills generally become rather rudimentary. Mine usually ride the range of technology. I feel safe in the world of black and white blinking cursors. There, things are black and white. What I write is what I mean. If there is a suggestion of something deeper, it can be uncovered in the permanent pages. Face to face conversations, and (god forbid!) phone calls, make my life a living hell. Suddenly body language can tell a story that contrasts tone of voice. You can lose yourself not only in the juxtaposition of contradictions, but you may also lose the tried and true signs of attraction—signs which I recently sleuthed the Internet for. (A bit ridiculous? I was desperate. And I flirt like a broken faucet.)
I should have a button that says, “Don’t talk to me. I’m Awkward.” Someone better watch out.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Season 4 x (Part 2): Trouble

Setting: Geneva Terrace

I did it anyway. There was no one there to stop me! My phone had the ammunition loaded; all I had to do was fire. Pulling the trigger isn't that hard. One pop, a couple clicks and the phone is on silent in my back pocket. No time for second guessing, only a shock of horrified regrets. His response came quick...unlike his appearance. He was taking a run, but might stop by in a bit. I didn't hear anything after that, so I cleaned. The apartment was spotless by the time he sent the second text. He wanted to know if I still wanted to hang out. What a silly question! I had my first beer open, the music on and some papers out to pretend grade (while I changed my outfit three times) before he showed up. He walked in like he owned the place and grabbed a beer. We stood and chatted at the counter for awhile. Nothing serious. We caught up on our days, our afternoons. It was a little bit of small talk and a whole lot of joking--per use. And then I pulled out Bananagrams.

I don't have the chance to play as often as I'd like, and he was the perfect opponent. He had never played, but he picked up quickly, shutting me down on the second game. (We will pretend beer number two had nothing to do with it.) We talked a little during the game, but mostly we joked. I poked fun at his incessant attempts to spell words that weren't words. He made fun of my three letter mini words and some of my more inappropriate word suggestions. Between the first and second game we got off track, talking about his mom and her texting. (His phone kept buzzing. I politely ignored, but he felt the need to explain...I am going to pretend it was only his mom.) He told me about the dinner he cooked "that chick," and about how he nearly messed it up. Then he told me about the movie they had watched. I wanted to step in then and tell him that I didn't want to hear about her...that I have a crush on him. He said he could read people by their eyes. I kept wondering what he saw in mine.

By the end of the second game, I was buzzed. I had spilled a little beer, stood a little too close to him and communicated with him via facial expressions only. He helped me pick up the game. We moved back to the counter and chatted some more. He joked around about his reputation, and immediately felt the need to share an exact number...which he had to figure out with his back to me. I took the chance to go outside. He followed. We looked at the stars (cliche, right?) and then headed back in, chatting awhile longer as he put on his shoes, getting ready to go. But he didn't leave quickly. He eventually moved to the door, but stopped to look at my calendar. We chatted for another 5-10 minutes in my doorway before I followed into the hall and watched him leave. We continued our conversation until he headed out the door by the stairwell.

Already he knows too much about me. He can read my face. He has picked up on my little secrets. I am afraid to keep letting him in, but I like being around him so much. Is it wrong to want to spend time with him when I know he is spending time with another girl? Should I stop liking him? Should I be more up-front about my intentions? Is there any way he may not have guessed already? Trouble. It's my pet, and I give it far too much attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share what you think. I would love to hear what you have to say.