When you live the life of a hermit, communication skills generally become rather rudimentary. Mine usually ride the range of technology. I feel safe in the world of black and white blinking cursors. There, things are black and white. What I write is what I mean. If there is a suggestion of something deeper, it can be uncovered in the permanent pages. Face to face conversations, and (god forbid!) phone calls, make my life a living hell. Suddenly body language can tell a story that contrasts tone of voice. You can lose yourself not only in the juxtaposition of contradictions, but you may also lose the tried and true signs of attraction—signs which I recently sleuthed the Internet for. (A bit ridiculous? I was desperate. And I flirt like a broken faucet.)
I should have a button that says, “Don’t talk to me. I’m Awkward.” Someone better watch out.

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Season 4 xv: The Gloves Are Off

Setting: Downtown La Crosse, Tres Compadres, Cavalier, State Street

I knew it was a bad idea. I had spent the entire morning avoiding it. And then I gave in. I was trying to be snarky, but I think it came off wrong. I have been trying to keep it playful, but something (which I was unwilling to admit) had changed in the tone of our verbal jousting. There were bigger things at stake. I had so much more to lose.

I should have let well enough alone when he responded, but I am incapable. I ended up texting again. Katie and I were downtown, waiting for Emily. His response was vague, noncommittal. It was surprising. He had been all big man about his plans to end up downtown. But later came, and he did not. Katie and I imbibed, Emily showed up to drink a pine tree and with Kristopher's guest appearance and a lacking response on the cheapest pitcher of beer downtown, Katie and I hit the streets. We strolled around for a little, but I felt the dissociation with the world I was trying to slink into, and we beat the streets back to my car, settling for some Train and open night air.

Setting: Geneva Terrace

I made it home without any additional blunders, and, actually powered through a reasonably uneventful morning before I snuck away to do laundry and some other illicit activity.

I didn't tell Katie about my dirty little secret until he had responded, nearly an hour later. The first response was harmless. I pried for more. And I got it. What I had known, probably since episode five, was proven right.

Tomorrow I will be spending eighth hour in 202.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share what you think. I would love to hear what you have to say.