When you live the life of a hermit, communication skills generally become rather rudimentary. Mine usually ride the range of technology. I feel safe in the world of black and white blinking cursors. There, things are black and white. What I write is what I mean. If there is a suggestion of something deeper, it can be uncovered in the permanent pages. Face to face conversations, and (god forbid!) phone calls, make my life a living hell. Suddenly body language can tell a story that contrasts tone of voice. You can lose yourself not only in the juxtaposition of contradictions, but you may also lose the tried and true signs of attraction—signs which I recently sleuthed the Internet for. (A bit ridiculous? I was desperate. And I flirt like a broken faucet.)
I should have a button that says, “Don’t talk to me. I’m Awkward.” Someone better watch out.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Season 4 xi: Confused.

Setting: Logan, English Office 222, 8th Hour

I know that I shouldn't let this get to me, but it has. He is under my skin.

My expectations weren't as high this time. I had fun, but the evening clearly hadn't ended any differently from the first encounter. I had no reason to assume that it would have different day-after results. And I was right... mostly. But he was weird today.  He didn't come to lunch (probably a product of Ann's feeling under the weather), and I showed up late to 8th hour (I suddenly felt the need to rearrange my room). After trying to ignore him and work diligently, I ended up having to look over at him--he made a point of staring at me until I did. From that point he was on. He was dancing, and singing, and telling me about the rest of his night. He complained a little about his kids, played some music to test me and just talked. And I talked too...when I wasn't making faces at him. The funny thing was, that every time someone walked into the room, we would break our conversation. The second they left, it was back on. We did this mutually. Perhaps it was to guard our little work tryst from the prying eyes of some of our more brutal coworkers. I guess I couldn't say.

I like that what we have is ours. I only wish I could define what we have.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share what you think. I would love to hear what you have to say.