When you live the life of a hermit, communication skills generally become rather rudimentary. Mine usually ride the range of technology. I feel safe in the world of black and white blinking cursors. There, things are black and white. What I write is what I mean. If there is a suggestion of something deeper, it can be uncovered in the permanent pages. Face to face conversations, and (god forbid!) phone calls, make my life a living hell. Suddenly body language can tell a story that contrasts tone of voice. You can lose yourself not only in the juxtaposition of contradictions, but you may also lose the tried and true signs of attraction—signs which I recently sleuthed the Internet for. (A bit ridiculous? I was desperate. And I flirt like a broken faucet.)
I should have a button that says, “Don’t talk to me. I’m Awkward.” Someone better watch out.

Monday, March 19, 2012

Season 4 xvi: This Sitcom Gets Serious

Setting: Logan High School, Room 202, English Office 222

I avoided him like the plague. I knew he would be in the office for lunch. That is his routine, daily, so I worked in 202. I only popped in at the end of the hour, far too late for conversation, to grab a couple things off my desk.

I occupied myself at the end of 7th hour, inviting Leslie up for introductions to her boyfriend. Mr. IV walked through. He could easily have gone around, but he chose not to. Instead, he walked over when Leslie addressed him and made a point of saying he would be criticizing the color of my pants later.

By the time eighth hour rolled around, I didn't even feel bad that I was going to blow him off. I kept to myself. I even made it through the office once without being stopped. I had to make copies, and on my way back, my cruel intentions caved a bit. I grabbed his copies from the printer. That was my mistake. Apparently handing them to him (wordlessly, might I add) was an invitation. He asked about my day. I sent him a snippy response and hurled myself into 202.

At the end of eighth hour, I finally had to remain stationary in the office (a feat I had managed to avoid all day). I was looking through my desk stuff, trying to make sure I hadn't forgotten to grab something to grade, when he asked me how my weekend was, quickly tacking on an apology for not returning my texts Saturday night. I said it was fine (in a really snippy tone) and said it was good (without much enthusiasm). He didn't let it drop, even though I clearly  looked like I was headed out of there. He asked me where we (Katie and I) had ended up. I told him. Then he needed to know where that was located. I told him. But even that wasn't enough. He needed to know what it was near. I told him and picked up my stuff, ready to head to my resource room. As I rushed out the door I folded for a little tact and offered that I didn't know the bar, but that we had gone because one of the girls Emily was with knew the place. Then I was out.

Later, Kelly asked me how my day was going...in a sympathetic tone. I think she and Mr. IV must have discussed my breeze through on the way to copies.

Mr. IV and I didn't talk again. I stayed out of the room until minutes before final bell. When I got in, I packed up quickly and waited. Within minutes of the 3:20 chime, I was out of there, offering a "Have a good night" to anyone interested, and receiving one in return from him.

I feel a bit cruel for being so standoffish, but then again... it had worked.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share what you think. I would love to hear what you have to say.